Join the Western North Carolina Alliance for a night of hiking and stargazing on the Blue Ridge Parkway with the Astronomy Club of Asheville! Watch the sunset as you relax from the top of rock outcrop overlooking Craggy Gardens with 360 degree summit views of the Blue Ridge Mountains. This 1.4 mile hike climbs moderately from the Craggy Dome Overlook to a stunning location, perfect for watching the sun fall behind the mountains. Light refreshments will be provided.
After the sunset, we will hike back down to the parking lot to meet up with the Astronomy Club of Asheville for stargazing. There will be telescopes available, but you are also welcome to bring your own. All ages welcome!
- Date: Friday, July 20th
- Time: Meet at 7:15pm and end around 10:00pm
- Where: Craggy Dome Overlook parking lot (milepost 364 on the parkway)
- Skill Level: Moderate, but short hike
- Cost: WNCA members – $5.00/nonmembers – $10.00
- RSVP: Please register with Joy Irby at 828-258-8737 or firstname.lastname@example.org by July 19th
Check out this video from our last stargaze with the Astronomy Club in November 2011 at the Grassland Mountain Observatory