MountainTrue – Advocacy & Communications Associate
MountainTrue is a non-profit organization that works with communities across the 23 mountain counties in Western North Carolina on issues that matter most to sustaining our natural heritage. We focus on a core set of issues – sensible land use, restoring public forests, protecting water quality, and clean energy – that have a high impact on the environmental health and long-term prosperity of our region. For more information: mountaintrue.org
MountainTrue seeks a bright, organized and outgoing individual with organizing experience and strong writing skills to drive our advocacy and support our communications efforts. This position works regionally but is based in MountainTrue’s Asheville office.
The Advocacy & Communications Associate will report to the Director of Communications and work closely with our Community Engagement Manager, program directors and regional directors to (1) support our advocacy goals through both online organizing/advocacy and on-the-ground community organizing; and (2) promote our programs through member outreach and correspondence, public relations, social media and marketing.
The Advocacy & Communications Associate will work with community stakeholders and coalition members on grassroots campaigns as they arise; build and execute effective, high-impact online advocacy campaigns; assist in drafting and formatting blog posts and newsletter articles; and monitor and drive engagement through MountainTrue’s various social media properties.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Coordinates with volunteers, local coalitions, stakeholder groups and others in issue-based campaign planning and implementation
- Tracks local issues and policy and identifies opportunities to activate MountainTrue’s network of advocates around specific actions
- Recommends and implements rapid-response plans for MountainTrue
- Organizes, develops, and executes online email outreach, web-based advocacy, and online-to-offline integration of the members and supporters who are interested in MountainTrue’s advocacy work
- Uses MountainTrue’s email/web/constituent relationship management system to develop segmented lists, track and report results, target emails, and link to appropriate web pages
- Develops new relationships or leverages existing relationships in the digital space to help further the goals of the campaign.
- Creates culturally competent communications and digital strategies that resonate and engage with Western North Carolina communities
- Maintain MountainTrue’s website properties, and online calendars
- Monitor, respond to and engage with our constituents via email, our website and social media
- Write and assemble regular e-newsletters and communications to constituents
- Assist with other projects as needed
- Two to three years’ experience in online advocacy organizing or campaigning
- Strong background in grassroots organizing
- Ability to work with and write for diverse audiences from across the political spectrum
- Proficient computer skills and prior experience or aptitude with internet applications including email, constituent relationship management or other related data systems, social networking systems, mobile platforms and web applications
- Excellent verbal, writing and editing skills and demonstrated skills in writing and production of online campaign materials
- Ability to work independently and as part of a collaborative team
- Ability to prioritize among competing goals to execute on tight deadlines
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills
- Savvy with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Google Apps as well as online email, website and CRM platforms
The following are also preferred:
- Graphic design skills using Adobe Creative Suite (especially InDesign and Photoshop);
- Copy editing and/or professional writing experience
- A demonstrated passion for the environment and an understanding of conservation issues
Salary: Mid to high 30s, depending on experience.
MountainTrue values and respects all types of diversity and strongly encourages applicants from traditionally marginalized groups to apply. We prohibit discrimination and harassment and provide equal employment opportunity.
How to Apply:
Submit cover letter, resume, three professional work samples, and three references to Karim Olaechea, Director of Communications at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Advocacy & Communications Associate” in the subject line.
Application deadline: July 8, 2017