Septic Repair Application
Failing septic systems are a major source of bacteria pollution and other pathogens in our waterways. But fixing and maintaining a properly functioning septic system can be prohibitively expensive. That’s why MountainTrue is partnering with the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services to provide grants to qualifying property owners.
MountainTrue/NCDHHS Waste Discharge Elimination Program
Septic System Repair Assistance Grant Determination Criteria
Septic System Repair grants are available to any property owner in Buncombe, Cherokee, Haywood, Henderson, Macon, Madison, Mitchell, Transylvania, and Yancey counties that meets the eligibility requirements below:
- Property owner(s) and other financially responsible household members’ total income(s) must not exceed 80% of Area Median Income, and liquid reserve shall not exceed 50% of household income. For purposes of this program, the area median income for a household is the same as the income limits for families published in accordance with 42 U.S.C. 1437a(b)(2), available under the heading “Access Individual Income Limits Areas” at https://www.huduser.gov/portal/datasets/il.html
- The homeowner(s) must obtain a construction authorization permit for a septic system repair issued by their local county health department.
- An application must be completed and include verification of household size and gross annual income. Documentation of proof-of-income may be requested during the application review.
- Funding amounts will be based on household size, gross income, available program funds, and the lowest of three bids from certified septic contractors.
- The property must be a single-family residence which is owner-occupied.
- The grant award will be paid directly to the septic contractor, not the property owner.
To Apply On-Line:
Fill out the form below.
To Apply Via Mail or Email:
Download a the grant application (pdf), fill it out, and either email it to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail it to MountainTrue, ATTN: Gray Jernigan, 29 N. Market Street, Suite 610, Asheville, NC 28801.