Save the French Broad, 1 Fish at a Time
For the month of August, fishing will be good throughout the French Broad River Watershed for both fishers and non-fishers alike. In partnership with Sweetwater, MountainTrue is hosting a campaign to clean up the French Broad River through the sale of paper fish in local restaurants, bars and businesses. You can show your support for swimmable, fishable and drinkable water in the French Broad by buying a $1 fish at the following locations:
- Bier Garden in downtown Asheville
- Mellow Mushroom in downtown Asheville
- Cascade Lounge in Asheville
- WALK (West Asheville Lounge & Kitchen)
- Ole Shakey’s next to the French Broad
- Asheville Outdoor Center
- Hang Out at Climbmax next to the French Broad
- Thirsty Monk
- Universal Joint in Asheville
- Boondocks Brewing Tap Room & Restaurant in downtown West Jefferson
- Triangle Stop gas stations around Asheville
MountainTrue and Sweetwater have teamed up 10 years in a row to sell paper fish and encourage locals to help clean up the French Broad River. Throughout those 10 years, over $150,000 has been raised to fund the rejuvenation and continual improvement of the French Broad River.
The selling of paper fish occurs in conjunction with the annual Save the French Broad Raft Race where local businesses race each other down the whitewater section of the French Broad. This year, you can expect teams from Bier Garden, Brixx, The Matt & Molly Team, Prestige Subaru, Cascade Lounge, Mellow Mushroom in Asheville, WALK, Liquid Logic, The Southern and Edward Jones to battle their way down the river in rafts donated by Blue Heron Whitewater for a chance to become raft race champions.
If you see the paper fish hanging on the wall at a local eatery, bar or business, buy one and show your support for the French Broad!