Western Regional Director – Sylva or Franklin, NC
The mission of MountainTrue is to champion resilient forests, clean waters, and healthy communities in Western North Carolina. MountainTrue works across 23 counties in the southern Appalachians, has 20 staff and a $1.5 million budget. For more information, please visit, www.mountaintrue.org.
MountainTrue seeks a regional director for its Western Regional Office, based in Franklin or Sylva. This will be the organization’s primary representative in Haywood, Jackson, Macon, Swain, Clay, Graham, and Cherokee counties. This person will build public support for identified environmental issues in the region, including MountainTrue priorities. They will increase membership, strengthen relationships with key stakeholders and donors, oversee all programmatic and development activities in the region. This position reports to the Co-Directors and is supported by other program, development, and communications staff.
Regional offices serve the following functions in their respective regions:
- To be a resource for the public and advocate on environmental issues
- To engage, organize, and lead residents in work/advocacy on local environmental issues and on state and federal issues that are priorities for the organization
- To organize membership outreach and fundraising events
- To build and maintain relationships with elected officials, community leaders, partner organizations, communities of faith, and major donors
- Actively seek funding to support the work
- Minimum 5-7 years of experience working on environmental issues
- Policy advocacy experience
- Experience in community organizing, membership development, campaigns, or other position requiring coordination of people
- Self-reliant, good problem solver, results oriented
- Ability to make decisions in a changing environment and anticipate future need
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive. Team player
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- Ability to work across political, social, and economic lines
- A bachelor’s degree
- Must be willing to live within the western region
The following are preferred:
- Master’s degree or other advanced degree in a field related to the environment
- Fundraising or membership outreach experience
- Experience with online communications tools
Compensation: Low $50s depending upon experience. Excellent benefits package.
MountainTrue values and respects all types of diversity and strongly encourages applicants from traditionally marginalized groups to apply. We prohibit discrimination and harassment and provide equal employment opportunity without regard to, and not limited to, ethnicity, religion, race, national origin, abilities, gender identity, age or genetic information. We are committed to recruiting, hiring and promoting those from minority and disadvantaged groups.
How to apply: Email cover letter, resume and three references to Bob Wagner, Co-Director, email@example.com. Subject line should read: “Western Regional Director”.
Application deadline: October 3, 2018