Do you value our sparkling mountain streams and rivers? The abundance of wildlife in our public forests? Our rolling farmland, deeply rooted in our culture and vital to the local economy? All of these are at risk — without your help.
Make your voice heard, take action now!
Big Ivy, a section of the Pisgah National Forest in Buncombe County, contains one of Appalachia’s largest and most biologically diverse old-growth forests. The US Forest Service’s draft management plan currently puts much of Big Ivy on the chopping block by prioritizing timber production over recreation and ecological protection. Speak out now!
Western North Carolina is home to more than a million acres of national forest which are vital to our local ecosystems and economies. The US Forest Service is currently developing management plans that will determine the future of these forests for decades to come. Submit your comments TODAY asking our National Forests be managed in the best interest for all who enjoy and depend on them!
The Mining and Energy Commission received 300,000 public comments on proposed rules for fracking in our state, the vast majority of calling for stronger rules. Unfortunately, the final rules remain woefully inadequate and do not go far enough to protect against toxic air pollution, contamination of nearby groundwater wells, or violations of private property rights.
With MountainTrue, you can join forces with citizens from across the region and your community.
- Influence public policy to better address development pressures
- Safeguard the treasures of our public forests, including an array of wildlife, old growth stands, and rare ecosystems
- Preserve working farms and traditional mountain communities
- Halt the proliferation of exotic invasive plant species that threaten native ecosystems
- Expand our ability to rigorously monitor and protect water quality